Saturday, 20 January 2018

Bolt Action - German Late War Halftrack Sdkfz 251 - WIP

I am working on a World War icon that everybody surely loves.. the German halftrack but this time in 28mm scale.

This model from the Bolt Action range and is a great model.

For this model I will start off with a black primer.

Followed by a base coat of Middlestone. Also started on the only personnel with the vehicle.

 

Then a wash of 60/40 Brown/Black wash.

 
Next a drybrush with Middlestone to clean up.



I painted in the details and all that's left is the camouflage pattern which I am planning to paint using the first picture a s a guide.

Vitor

Monday, 1 January 2018

True Scale - Horus Heresy Iron Warriors - Comparison


So here are the comparison pictures, unfortunately I only took pictures of the models together from one angle but I think you can see the difference quite clearly.


The difference is quite remarkable in that the extra length of the legs gives the model so much more believability. In the plastic this is even more dramatic as your eye can see depth etc much more than the camera.

I am sold on 'True Scale', now the problem is how to achieve this with what I have.

First off the four trial squads I painted up are heading for eBay, so if you are interested the Sons of Horus and Alpha Legion are still available.

Next step will be to try what I call the 'cut and fill' method, see below, probably with green stuff.


This will allow me if successful to use my existing models rather than go out and buy Primaris Marines.

Let em know what you think.

Vitor

Friday, 22 December 2017

True Scale - Horus Heresy Iron Warriors - Finished


I finished off the washes and highlights and I am very happy with the end result.

The Brass Etched shoulder pad looks really good, a note here is when applying use superglue sparingly as it easily clogs up the details, the cost is way lower than the cast shoulder pads so a win for me.

I think the conversion works very well, the body and arms do not look out of proportion and the legs I believe with the knee pad work I did can pass for Pre-Heresy (of course not for the very strict).

Let me know if you think the legs can work for Pre-Heresy.

I will also do a comparison shot with the Betrayal at Calth model in the next post.

Here are some pictures of different angles.




Vitor.


Monday, 18 December 2017

True Scale - Horus Heresy Iron Warriors - Painted - WIP


Onto painting the Iron Warrior, I am following my previous colour scheme as it worked very well and I want it to be a direct comparison, the only difference is that I am painting the typical chevron pattern of the Iron Warriors onto the knee pad.

To start with I base coated with Leadbelcher, applied a black/brown wash then drybrushed with Leadbelcher again. The shoulder pads are Black with Bronze trim.

Next step was to drybbrush with Leadbelcher again and to base coat some of the details like pouches etc.








Stay tuned for the finished miniature.

Vitor

Sunday, 3 December 2017

True Scale - Horus Heresy Iron Warriors


Since the Primaris Space Marines have come out, I am sure everybody has thought about how to integrate them into their existing forces or to use them to make their existing forces into a 'True Scale' army because that's what they really are.

Now that I have finished the first batch of Plague Marines I am working on this little test. I also want to use my Forge world Brass Etched Iron Warriors sprue to see if the skulls will work on the shoulder pads.




To start with I looked at the Heresy MKVI marines and a comparison suggested the torso is a bit short and a bit narrow, so not exactly a match for the Primaris proportions but close enough. I added a waist with green stuff to my chosen torso then cut away the Primaris torso and kept in case this does not work. Next was to cut away the flared pieces of the knee armour and fill in the joints at the knee, then I filed the knee pad into a more angular shape to match the MKVI version. My plan is to paint in the knee pad rather than sculpt it as the shape of the Primaris legs are very rounded making this difficult.



The last step was to glue the torso in place and add the head, weapons etc. At this stage I realised the green stuff waist was not going to work so I removed it.


All done and looking promising.


I will now paint and show you guys how that turns out.


Vitor

Sunday, 5 November 2017

Dark Imperium - Plague Marines - Finished


It feels like this has been a never ending task to complete. I have finally finished but actually I could keep on painting because there are so many details on these models its ridiculous.

The chaos protrusions etc were washed with blues, pink and purples with red used for tongues. The armour was washed with a 60/40 mix of brown and black wash then highlighted with original base colour. Rust (Model Mates) applied to various bits like chain mail. Some verdigris to areas of bronze armour. Cloth was painted in the same way as the post on the backpacks i.e. Warhammer TV method.



They are amazing models and hope the paint job did them justice.

Vitor

Sunday, 24 September 2017

Dark Imperium - Plague Marines - WIP2


I have managed to get some hobby time this week and have completed the base colours on the Plague Marines.

I started with a primer of Army Painter Green Primer Spray for the green armour.

I used a 50/50 mix of dark brown and bronze for the armour trim and once dry I used bronze for the final layer.

The horns and Bone I painted two coats with Tallarn sand.

The cloaks and material parts are painted in Liche Purple.

The chaos protrusions are painted with white. The models are now ready for the washes which should go faster and with a bit of luck I can have these guys done soon..

Vitor