Sunday 25 September 2011

Aurelius Legion Tactical Marine Weathering Test

 Picture courtesy of  Ron at From The Warp. 

I read this article along with hordes of you I am sure. I am still really trying to master getting a good basic painting technique never mind adding weathering as well. Afterward though I bolstered up my courage and decided to give weathering a try on my test mini.


I don't have any pigments but used washes instead, they don't give that dusty battlefield look but it did add some browning to areas. I also used the sponge technique, seen in From The Warps Tutorial here http://fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2011/04/different-tools-for-sponge-weathering.html, to apply the random damage, which I am not sure if its too much or ok? I must admit that its harder to do than at first you think, its easy to just paint the entire model in damage if you are not careful. Small dabs with the sponge is the order of the day! Also the order of colour application is important, get the darker colour on first, to represent the older damage, then the lighter and metal colours last, to represent the new battle damage.

Well here are the results and please help me make a decision about them at the end of the post.












I like the end result but I don't know if I like it that much to do over a whole army?

PLEASE HELP !
What do you guys think of the result?
Should I continue with the rest of the army?


Vitor

3 comments:

  1. Well you could do it army wide and put more of it on hardened/veteran units..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the overall look, but you might want to add more of a contrast on some of the yellow areas, you could easily do it with some watered down Badab Black wash.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My thoughts are the weathering looks pretty good. I think what is missing is the details on the eyes. They look kind of bland and it kind of draws your attention away from the rest of the model. My first view, as is most people is to look at the eyes, and when they are not up to the same standard as the rest of the model, which does look quite good, it kind of detracts from the overall effect. If it was me, I'd do an entire army like this. I do like the weathering effect you have, not too much, not too little. It looks just right. :)

    GAR

    ReplyDelete